Fijian Language Week - Macawa Ni Vosa Vakaviti celebrates the culture and language of the more than 14,000 people of Fijian heritage who live in New Zealand.1 There are over 700 people of Fijian heritage in Christchurch.2
Ni sa bula vinaka! Fijian Language Week 2018 was held from Sunday 7 October to Saturday 13 October. The social media hashtags were #VosaVakaviti and #FijianLanguage.
Fiji Language Week
The 2018 theme was:
Noqu Vosa, me'u bula taka
My Language - Learn it, speak it, live it!
Find Fijian resources in the library collection
- Resources in Fijian
- Bilingual Fijian-English dictionaries
- Fijian music
- Resources about Fiji
- Children's resources about Fiji
Fijian language and culture
- Fijian community groups and organisations in CINCH, our community directory
- Read Pasifika salutations on the Pacific Languages Week webpage, Ministry for Pacific Peoples.
- Fiji Language Week resources from the Human Rights Commission
- Fiji Language Week from Te Kete Ipurangi, including links to basic language lessons and video
- Let’s Meke! and Whale tooth tales blog posts from Te Papa Tongarewa
2. NZ.Stat, Ethnic group (total responses), for the census usually resident population count, 2001, 2006, and 2013 Censuses, accessed 23 September 201