Tongan Language Week - Uike ‘o e Lea Tonga celebrates the culture and language of the more than 60,000 people of Tongan heritage who live in New Zealand.1 2018 Tongan Language Week runs from Sunday 2 September to Saturday 8 September.
Tongan is spoken by over 650 people in Christchurch.2 This page highlights our resources about Tonga and the Tongan language.
The theme is:
Fakakoloa Aotearoa ‘Aki ‘A E Ofa Fonua
Enrich Aotearoa with the love and duty of service to Country, Community, and People
Find Tongan resources in our catalogue
- Resources in Tongan
- Bilingual Tongan-English dictionaries
- Children's stories in Tongan
- Tongan music
- Resources about Tonga
- Children's resources about Tonga
- Education resource booklet  from The Ministry for Pacific Peoples and Te Papa Tongarewa [1.6MB PDF]
- Read Pasifika salutations on the Pacific Languages Week webpage, Ministry for Pacific Peoples.
- Tonga Language Week from Te Kete Ipurangi, including links to online language games, to videos of Tongan greetings and of the New Zealand National Anthem in Tongan, as well as to a variety of learning resources
2. Christchurch City Council, 15 Most Commonly Spoken Languages, Age and Ethnicity, Stats and Facts on Christchurch, Census 2013, accessed 7 August 2015