Tonga Language Week Uike 'O Lea Tonga celebrates the culture and language of the more than 60,000 people of Tongan heritage who live in New Zealand.1 Tongan is spoken by over 650 people in Christchurch.2
Tonga Language Week Uike 'O Lea Tonga 2019 is on from Sunday 1 September to Saturday 7 September. The 2019 theme is:
Fakakoloa O Aotearoa ‘Aki ‘A E Tauhi Fonua
A Tongan perspective of enriching Aotearoa, New Zealand.
Tonga Language Week Uike 'O Lea Tonga library events 2019
Tongan Family Times Saturday 7 September 12noon to 2pm
Hear stories, songs, and performances from Christchurch's Tongan community.
Free, no bookings required. Hapori | Community, Level 1, Tūranga.
Family Makerspace Saturday 7 September 2.30pm to 4pm
Join Pasifika librarians in making your very own Tongan Ngatu (Tapa) print. Learn about different Tongan tapa designs and their meaning.
Free, no bookings required. Creative Space, Hapori | Community, Level 1, Tūranga.
Find Tongan resources in our catalogue
- Resources in Tongan
- Bilingual Tongan-English dictionaries
- Children's stories in Tongan
- Tongan music
- Resources about Tonga
- Children's resources about Tonga
- Education resource booklet  from The Ministry for Pacific Peoples and Te Papa Tongarewa [1.6MB PDF]
- Read Pasifika salutations on the Pacific Languages Week webpage, Ministry for Pacific Peoples.
- Tonga Language Week from Te Kete Ipurangi, including links to online language games, to videos of Tongan greetings and of the New Zealand National Anthem in Tongan, as well as to a variety of learning resources
2. Christchurch City Council, 15 Most Commonly Spoken Languages, Age and Ethnicity, Stats and Facts on Christchurch, Census 2013, accessed 7 August 2015