Uike Kātoanga’i ‘o e Lea Faka-Tonga - Tonga Language Week
Mālō e lelei. Uike Kātoanga’i ‘o e Lea Faka-Tonga - Tonga Language Week is on from Sunday 3 to Saturday 9 September 2023.
Mālō e Lelei. Tonga Language Week Uike Kātoanga’i ‘o e Lea Faka-Tonga celebrates the culture and language of the 82,389 people of Tongan heritage who live in New Zealand. According to the 2018 Census, 2,205 people of Tongan heritage reside in Christchurch.
The theme for Tonga Language Week 2022 was:
Ke Tu'uloa 'a e lea faka-Tonga′ 'i Aotearoa
Sustaining the Tongan Language in Aotearoa
- Visit the Ministry for Pacific Peoples Tonga Language Week page for more resources.
- Like the Tonga Language Week Facebook page.
Tonga Language Week craft: Kiekie
Mālō e Lelei. Enjoy this Tonga Language Week Uike Kātoanga’i ‘o e Lea Faka-Tonga craft from Tiresa.
Tongan general resources
A selection of Tongan resources that cover language, culture and protocols. The list is for the whole family to enjoy.
Find Tongan resources in our collection
- Tonga Language Week Ministry of Pacific Peoples
- Like Tonga Language Week on Facebook
- Tonga (Lea Faka-Tonga) language cards, opens a new window from The Ministry for Pacific Peoples and Te Papa Tongarewa
- Tonga Language Week from Te Kete Ipurangi, including links to online language games, to videos of Tongan greetings and of the New Zealand National Anthem in Tongan, as well as to a variety of learning resources
Resources focusing on Pacific knowledge, heritage & identity, and supporting the learning and retention of Pacific languages and culture.