- Location: 168 Stanmore Road (in the grounds of the now-demolished Holy Trinity Anglican Church), Linwood, Christchurch 8011
Avonside Anglican Parish Cemetery Tour [271KB PDF]
Guide based on cemetery tours that take place as part of annual Heritage Week events. The guides are from the research and notes of Richard L. N. Greenaway.
In December 1855, the parish of Christchurch was divided into the parishes of Papanui, Riccarton, Avonside, Upper Heathcote, Lower Heathcote, and Christchurch with Middle Heathcote. Money was collected, land given, trustees and church wardens appointed. In February 24 1857, Avonside church and burying grounds were consecrated by Bishop Selwyn, and dedicated to the Holy Trinity.
The church was demolished in September 2011 after it was badly damaged by the 2010 and 2011 earthquakes. It had been situated just to the east of Stanmore Road, on the Avon River. It was approached by an avenue of trees. At the end of this, through a quaint wooden porch and gate - a lych-gate - opening on to the churchyard, stood the Avonside church, thought by many to be the prettiest in the province.