Search a large diverse catalogue of music. Includes streaming audio of classical, popular, and world music, opera, and jazz.
Music Online: Listening Plus delivers audio recordings, liner notes, biographies, and images. The eResources you search include:
- American Song
- Hear the music from America’s past as well as recent additions. Genres from country to Motown music are covered within a growing collection of over 6,700 albums.
- Classical Music Library
- The world’s largest multi-label database of classical music recordings. Over 14,000 albums.
- Contemporary World Music
- Delivers the sounds of all regions from Bollywood to Balkanic jazz to Arabic swing. Over 16,000 albums.
- Jazz Music Library
- A comprehensive collection of jazz. Thousands of jazz artists and genres Over 8,600 albums.
- Popular Music Library
- Provides access to a wide range of popular streamable music from around the world that is not available in Music Online’s more genre specific collections.
- Smithsonian Global Sound
- A virtual encyclopedia of the world’s musical and aural traditions — more than 2,900 albums of music, spoken word, and natural and human-made sounds. A free track to download is offered each fortnight.
- Build playlists using content from anywhere in Music Online: Listening Plus — and from anywhere on the web. You can annotate your playlist, keep it at a permanent URL for private use, or share it.
- Playlists can include multiple recordings of a single work, the score, a video performance, web pages, and a biography and photograph of the composer.
- Built-in playlists match leading music textbooks and ready-made playlists for university-level courses.
- Suitable for early high school students and up. Includes some children’s music.
- Albums across all genres from, or about, New Zealand.
Every object in the collection is indexed for subjects, historical events, genres, people, cultural groups, places and time periods. As a result, users can make highly targeted queries. You can also create your own playlists with this help guide: