OverDrive eBooks and eAudioBooks
Getting started on OverDrive
Borrow ebooks, and audiobooks, to read on your phone or tablet using the Libby app, opens a new window by OverDrive. Our OverDrive collection contains thousands of fiction and non-fiction titles for adults, young adults and children. We also have eBooks in Chinese, Korean, Japanese and Tagalog.
You can browse our OverDrive collection, opens a new window of ebooks and audiobooks, on your computer through the website or via the Libby app.
Using Overdrive you can:
- Borrow up to 30 titles from home at any time;
- Place a hold on up to ten titles;
- Use on a mobile device using Libby app;
- Download titles and read or listen to offline;
- Transfer titles to eReaders (except kindle)
- Avoid late fees — the items self expire or you can return items early if you have finished with them.
OverDrive eBooks are compatible with most eBook readers and mobile devices except the Kindle Reader and app. The Kindle Fire Tablets are fine. Devices compatible with Libby.
To download digital titles, you need:
- A Windows or Mac computer with a modern browser or mobile device or eReader;
- Libby app available from the App Store or Google Play
- Access to the internet;
- Your library card and password / PIN.
Internet access is needed to browse, check out, and download titles. After download, enjoy a digital title without being connected to the Internet.
The Libby app is a new, one-tap reading app for borrowing eBooks and eAudiobooks from your library. This free app, created by OverDrive, is available for Android, iOS (iPhone/iPad/iPod touch), and Windows 10 devices.
- Install the Libby app from your device’s app store.
- Open the app and find your library. You can search by library name, city, or zip code.
- Browse your library’s collection and borrow a title. When prompted, sign in.
You’ll need a valid library card to complete this step.
- Borrowed titles appear on your Shelf and download to the app automatically so you can read them when you’re offline. From your Shelf, you can tap Start Reading or Start Listening to open a title.
Download the Libby app
You'll find titles that aren't offered in our digital collection with Deep Search. Deep Search activates when you run a search and the title is not found in our collection. If there is a title you want to read that Christchurch City Libraries doesn't have, add a Notify Me tag to express your interest in that title. You will be notified if that title gets added to our collection.
Learn more: https://help.libbyapp.com/en-us/6260.htm
- To activate deep search click the filter button
- Scroll to the bottom and click deep search show the titles that are now available to show
- To add the Notify me tag click the grey card with the bell
- Libby’s minimum iOS version is now iOS 10. To use Libby on an iOS device, users are required to update their device’s operating system to iOS 10 or newer. These are the steps to update your iOS operating system version.
- The legacy OverDrive for Mac desktop app is only supported on macOS versions 10.12.1 through 10.14.
Users on legacy web browsers may experience issues loading libbyapp.com or your OverDrive website and should upgrade to a newer browser version, if possible.
Yes you can now subscribe to magazines in Libby and when a new issue becomes available it will appear on your magazine rack. For more information see Libby Help - Subscribing to Magazines