Place name references
Explore all the names and places listed in Tī Kōuka Whenua. It explains the history and significance of places in Ōtautahi (Christchurch), Canterbury, and Horomaka (Banks Peninsula).
- Christchurch street and place names
- Library Names the stories of the bilingual names for Christchurch City Libraries
- Te Whata Raki
- Māori place names booklist
- Search our catalogue for Māori geographical names including Canterbury names.
- Ngāi Tahu Atlas over 1,000 original Māori place names, kā ara tawhito (traditional travel routes), and the original Māori land allocations in the Ngāi Tahu takiwā
- Mana recognition Ngāi Tahu. Includes information on dual place names.
- Map of Banks Peninsula showing … European and Maori place-names 1927
- Māori place names of Banks Peninsula, 1894
- How Christchurch Got Its Name: A Controverted Subject. D. J. Cowie. The New Zealand Railways Magazine, Volume 9, Issue 4 (July 2, 1934.)
- Old Maori place names round Akaroa harbour by Louis J. Vangioni ; with supplementary notes by D. J. C. Pringle, 1967.
- Māori Language Week – Te Wiki o Te Reo Māori