Tūranga offers a range of events, classes and exhibitions.
- Events and programming
- What's on - floor by floor
- What's on - places and spaces
- Library tours
Events and programming
Upcoming events and classes include:
- Ngā Pakiwaitara / Bilingual Storytimes on Tuesdays, 11am to 11.30am
- Introduction to Family History and Introduction to Local History six-week courses
- Introduction to 3D Design and Printing
- Studio starters: Music Production and Video editing three-week courses
See the full listing of events, classes, and exhibitions at Tūranga.
Browse events for:
Our Painted Stories Friday 12 October 2018 to Thursday 17 January 2019, Southbase Gallery, Tuakiri | Identity, Level 2
The Our Painted Stories exhibition explores the presence and importance of local Canterbury settings in children's books and celebrates the power of visual storytelling. Featuring original illustrations from books by Margaret Mahy and Gavin Bishop. Created in partnership with the Painted Stories Trust. Free, no bookings required.
Strength and Perseverance: The fight for women's rights and independence until February 2019, Tuakiri | Identity, Level 2
2018 marks 125 years since women gained the right to vote in Aotearoa. The first country in the world to achieve this, it had taken years of hard work. 19 September 1893 marked the official signing into law of women receiving the right to vote after a petition with nearly 32,000 signatures was presented to parliament. Only six weeks later on the 28 November 1893 the women of New Zealand voted in their first general election.
Gaining the vote was just the beginning to gain equality and independence and there are still many issues that need to be fully addressed. This exhibition explores what has been achieved and how we got here. It is curated from the Christchurch City Libraries digital heritage collection.
This digital exhibition is viewable on Tuakiri | Identity, Level 2, Tūranga by the Family History and microfilm readers, on the wall by Archives. Explore Tuakiri | Identity, Level 2 through our interactive online floor maps.
Explore related content on the Discovery Wall
- Women in WWII
- Women's Resource Centre
- Women's rights, independence, and equality
- To get the vote
- Delivering new life
Every Picture tells a Story from Friday 12 October, Hapori | Community, Level 1
Experience the wonderful artworks created by illustrators of much-loved New Zealand children's books. A digital exhibition created in partnership with the Painted Stories Trust. Free, no bookings required.
Re:ACTIVATE Friday 12 October to Saturday 17 November, Hapori | Community, Level 1
An exhibition featuring entries from aspiring artists and designers under the age of 18, who responded to the opportunity to have their public artwork vision become a reality and part of the 2018 SCAPE Public Art Season.
What's on - floor by floor
- He Hononga | Connection, Ground floor
- Hapori | Community, Level 1
- Tuakiri | Identity, Level 2
- Tūhuratanga | Discovery, Level 3
- Auahatanga | Creativity, Level 4
What's on - places and spaces
- Auaha Hīhī / Spark Place He Hononga | Connection, Ground floor
- Innovation Zone He Hononga | Connection, Ground floor
- Taupuni Auaha / Creative Space Hapori | Community, Level 1
- Taupuni Oro/Ataata / Audio/Video Studio Auahatanga | Creativity, Level 4
- Taupuni Waihanga / Production Studio Auahatanga | Creativity, Level 4
- Tautoru / TSB Space Hapori | Community, Level 1
- Te Pito Huarewa / Southbase Gallery Tuakiri | Identity, Level 2
- Wāhi Rangatahi / Youth Space Hapori | Community, Level 1
- Wāhi Whakaako / Teaching Room Tuakiri | Identity, Level 2
- Wāhi Whānau / Family Place Hapori | Community, Level 1
- Waruwarutū / Ngā Pounamu Māori Tuakiri | Identity, Level 2