Who is Lindy West and why should you venture out of the house on the very inauspicious date of Friday the 13th (of March) to hear her talk? UPDATE: WORD Christchurch has announced that Lindy West's Australia and New Zealand appearances have been cancelled.
A few reasons:
- She is an American writer and she is straight-up hilarious. I have read her first book of personal essays, Shrill, and legit "snort-laughed" in a great many places, which means it's now on my list of Books not to be read on the bus, the highest compliment that I can bestow with regards to humorous writing. See also my other list Feminist killjoys (title is ironic).
- The term "body positivity" gets thrown around quite a lot these days but West's take on it is unapologetic, personal, and of course, humorous. If watching Lizzo music videos on high-rotate is your current vibe (and if not, why not?) then you'll get similar feelings of solidarity and affirmation from Ms West.
- This event is at Tūranga (only one of the best libraries on the planet) and you can hit Imagination Station's LEGO pits afterwards for a little wholesome, grown-up creative time.
- Being a WORD Christchurch event, it is very reasonably priced at $20
- If you're someone who likes things that work "thematically" it's the perfect Friday the 13th event - West's latest book is called The witches are coming (please, please someone come to this event dressed as a witch, I beg of you).
- If the revelations of #MeToo have given you pause for thought (and again - if not, why not?), this event may well be the galvanising, cultural critique you've been looking for.
Find out more
- Find titles by Lindy West in the catalogue
- Get tickets to Lindy West: The witches are coming
- Lindy West: A shrill woman (interview, Radio New Zealand)