Information for blind and visually impaired customers using our free internet computers
The internal speaker on our free internet computers are disabled therefore bring your own headphones that use a standard headphone jack.
To find the headphone jack run your hand down the left side of the computer screen. The headphone jack has a round finger size hole.
At Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre the jack may be on the right side of the screen.
Use Narrator at the login screen
NVDA is not available until you have logged into the free internet computer. You can use Microsoft Narrator, the built-in Windows screen reader, at the login screen instead.
- Keyboard shortcut Windows Control Enter turns Narrator on
- Narrator will switch off when you log into the desktop, you will need to press Windows Control Enter again to enable Narrator again
Use keyboard shortcut Windows S to Windows Search for the NVDA application
- Type nvda
- When NVDA is selected press enter to run it
- To quit Narrator use keyboard shortcut Windows Control Enter
- To quit NVDA use the keyboard shortcut Insert Q