This guide is designed to be a starting point for your science project, helping you work your way from researching a topic through to the end.
Use the scientific method
- Research a particular topic.
- Ask a question related to the topic.
- Formulate a hypothesis that answers your question.
- Create an experiment that will prove or disprove your hypothesis.
- Draw a conclusion from the result of your experiment.
Finding background material
The first step in any project is to choose and research a particular topic. The following links give you ways of finding information so you can come up with a question that will be the basis of your project.
eResources give you access to general encyclopedias and other handy electronic resources. These resources provide helpful and reliable background information for science projects, and are particularly useful for current scientific information and ‘hot’ topics as they are updated regularly. There are also some great, but harder to use, electronic resources for adults.
Recommended internet resources
Use these links to find science websites for kids, teens and adults.
- NCEA: Science – Selected science websites for teens.
- Science – Our page with all of our science webpages.
Search our catalogue
Browse the shelves in these sections: