Street art is any art developed in public spaces. The term can include traditional graffiti art work, as well as, stencil graffiti, sticker art, wheatpasting and street poster art, video projection, art intervention, guerrilla art, flash mobbing and street installations (definition from Artrepublic.com).
This page looks at street art in Christchurch. It is a notable feature of the urban landscape since the Canterbury earthquakes.
Spectrum Street Art Festival 2015 / 2016
Oi You presented the Spectrum Street Art Festival in Christchurch from 12 December 2015 until 17 April 2016. This year's festival featured a new exhibition in the YMCA on Hereford Street, with works by the eight featured street artists as well as new works by returning artists. Eight new works brightened Christchurch streets.
Read Street artists to descend on central Christchurch this week by Charlie Gates, The Press, 5 December 2015
See our photos from the 2015 Spectrum Street Art Festival (14 February to 10 May 2015).
Street art in Christchurch
- Street art photos on our Flickr site.
- Graffiti images on Kete Christchurch
- Christchurch Street Art interactive map of Christchurch featuring stunning urban art.
- What is that? A blog showing example of public art, street art, and graffiti in Christchurch.
- Street art in Christchurch set on DigitalNZ.
- Search for Christchurch street art on DigitalNZ.
- Christchurch NZ Street art group on Flickr.
Search our catalogue
See also our page on public art.