It's Zombie Awareness Month. Do you know where your cricket bat/lawnmower/blunt object of choice is?
No, but seriously, it IS zombie awareness month. What's more, it's nearly over and I haven't even revised my evacuation plan or topped up the first aid kit in case of the Zombie Apocalypse. I deserve to get my brains munched, frankly.
But fear not! For your library is practically overflowing with zombie-related reading and viewing. So here are my picks of the best of the shambling undead.
Better check out some fight sequences and bone up on your best zombie combat moves -
- The Walking Dead - We're between seasons with everyone's favourite zombie horror TV series, but why not got back and rewatch the first season before Rick went feral and facial hair took over his face? You know, back when the post-apocalyptic world was a kinder, gentler, better groomed place.
- Warm Bodies - A zombie as a romantic lead? Seems a bit unlikely but that's the premise of this film starring Nicholas Hoult of TV show Skins.
- World War Z - Where the zombies are fast and really good at climbing, the little monkeys. But are they a match for Brad Pitt in "action" mode? Well, they give it a good try at least...
- I am Legend - Not technically zombies because they're not dead (much like the ones in World War Z) but if you spend time quibbling about such distinctions during the apocalypse you'll likely become someone's afternoon tea, so just enjoy the ride (and make note of Will Smith's survival skills and strategies).
- Shaun of the dead (we've got this as a double-DVD combo with Hot Fuzz). Just the rom-zom-com to lighten the mood a touch.
Board up the windows and hunker down with some reading material -
- "The book was better" - Check out the source novels of Warm Bodies, and World War Z, or the original comic books of The Walking Dead and iZombie TV shows.
- Costume drama zombies - Try Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies or A Zombies Christmas Carol.
- Educational for your brains, BRAINS! - A more learned approach to zombies can be found in Zombies, vampires and philosphy: New life for the Undead, Zombies are us: Essays on the humanity of the walking dead or Encyclopedia of the Zombie: The walking dead in popular myth and culture.
- But ultimately you want to survive - So you'd better check out Zombie apocalypse preparation: How to survive in an Undead world and have fun doing it!, or The Zombie survival guide or Zombie Survival: From the dawn of time onwards (all variations): Owner's apocalypse manual.
- And these ones just for the titles - Zombie bums from Uranus, Brains for lunch: A Zombie novel in haiku?! and of course, I love him to pieces, or, My date is dead weight, or, He only loves me for my brains.
No actual zombies around just at the moment? Make your own with the following crafty titles -
- Knit your own zombie: Over 100 Combinations to Rip 'n' Reassemble for Horrifying Results - Judge me if you will, but I'm a sucker for an title that promises instructions on how to knit "trailing entrails".
- Creepy cute crochet: Zombies, ninjas, robots and more! - More amigurumi than you can shake a dismembered woollen limb at.
- Zombie felties: How to Raise 16 Gruesome Felt Creatures From the Undead - On the cover of this book is a cute widdle zombie Michael Jackson in Thriller music video mode. If you need to know anything more than that, this book may not be for you.
I think you'll agree that's plenty to be getting on with, but if you've got an hot tips for zombie reading or preparedness please do make suggestions.