The new Central Library on the corner of Gloucester Street and Cathedral Square, called "Tūranga", is due to open in 2018.
- Council decides name for new central library, 28 September 2017 [media release]
- Watch the star.kiwi video: The Central Library’s amazing features and proposed new name 26 September 2017
- Watch the introductory video
- See artist's impressions of the planned new Central Library
- View webcam photos of work on new Central Library site
- View photos of construction on new Central Library site
Watch time lapse video of the new Central Library building under construction.
Tūranga will be a cultural hub for Christchurch and an important civic space that attracts people back into the central city.
- be the place to go to read, learn, study, swap ideas, do research, try new technology and socialise.
- offer easy access to lending and reference material, digital resources, and local, heritage and special collections.
- provide a wide range of programmes, events, exhibitions and experiences for all people of all ages and backgrounds.
- support the wider Christchurch library network of 19 community, mobile and digital libraries.
Read Christchurch City Council's information on the new Central Library rebuild.