Tūranga (New Central Library) on the corner of Gloucester Street and Cathedral Square is due to open in 2018.
- Introducing Tūranga 29 November 2017
- See artist's impressions of Tūranga
- View webcam photos of site and photos of construction
- Watch time lapse video of Tūranga construction.
Tūranga will be a cultural hub for Christchurch and an important civic space that attracts people back into the central city.
- be the place to go to read, learn, study, swap ideas, do research, try new technology and socialise.
- offer easy access to lending and reference material, digital resources, and local, heritage and special collections.
- provide a wide range of programmes, events, exhibitions and experiences for all people of all ages and backgrounds.
- support the wider Christchurch library network of 19 community, mobile and digital libraries.
Tūranga will have the books from our temporary libraries Central Library Manchester and Central Library Peterborough, and more. As the flagship of the city’s libraries network, Tūranga will retain the largest print collection while showcasing and celebrating Christchurch and Canterbury heritage and taonga, telling people’s unique stories locally, nationally and globally.
Read Christchurch City Council's information on the new Central Library rebuild.