Xbox, PlayStation, table football or adventure - whatever your flavour you can play games at your library and enjoy time with your mates. From tabletop games like Mahjong to computer games like Minecraft or branching out into immersive 3D with our VR (virtual reality) sessions.
- Video games
- VR (Virtual Reality)
- Games and fun for kids
- Tabletop Games
- Foosball (Table football)
There are a range of popular video games at libraries for you to play, including Minecraft, FIFA 19, NBA 2K19, LEGO games (Jurassic World, Marvel Super Heroes 2, Harry Potter, Ninjago), Rocket League, and Crash Bandicoot.
There is an Xbox 360 at Aranui and Linwood.
We have PlayStations at the following libraries:
- Aranui (PS3)
- Fendalton (PS4)
- Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre (PS4)
- Linwood (PS4)
- Lyttelton (PS4)
- Matuku Takotako: Sumner Centre (PS4)
- New Brighton (PS4)
- Ōrauwhata: Bishopdale Library and Community Centre (PS4)
- Parklands (PS4)
- Shirley (PS4)
- Tūranga (PS4)
Find documentaries about video gaming in Kanopy.
VR (Virtual Reality)
Would you like to explore a whole new world in immersive 3D? Come to Tῡranga and you can choose an experience on our HTC VIVE Virtual Reality device (suitable for ages 13 plus). Let us take you to a world where you can paint your own artwork all around you, or choose from several more amazing options.
There are free, drop in VR gaming sessions for teens and youth in the Youth Space on Hapori | Community, Level 1 with the latest Sony PS4 VR games, including Gran Turismo, Battle Zone and Eagle Flight (suitable for ages 12 plus, but can be offered to younger if they have parental supervision). View all VR sessions.
Games and fun for kids
We have computers for kids to play on at all of our branches except Diamond Harbour, Little River, Mobile Library, and Parklands. They feature websites and games for fun and learning. Tūranga has a Ricoh screen and Quiver fish for kids to play with.
Get your block on and play Minecraft at the library.
We also have Minecraft Clubs for ages 6 to 13. Get creative, start crafting! Build imaginative worlds and battle nocturnal creatures. A tutor will be on hand to supervise and assist. Book a place in these popular clubs by phoning (03) 9417923 or emailling email@example.com.
Rainy nights and winter indoors – perfect for getting the whanau around for a puzzle. Jigsaws are available for exchange at most libraries, but you can also work on them on tables in the library - there is often one set out ready to use.
- Fendalton: Monopoly, Game of Life, Uno, Jenga, and chess.
- Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre: Ticket to Ride, Civilisation, Agricola, and Infernal Contraption.
- Linwood: Chess, draughts, Rummikub, mah-jong, scrabble, Operation, Jenga, Bop it, cards, and reversii.
- Matuku Takotako: Sumner Centre: Cluedo, Scrabble, Rummikub, Chess and checkers, Guess Who, The Dragon game and a pack of playing cards.
- New Brighton Library: Chess, Jenga, Catan, Exploding Kittens, Carcassonne, Ticket to ride, Yahtzee, Code names, Battleship, and Connect 4.
- Redwood Library: Scrabble, Uno, 5 Second Rule, Connect Four, Poo, Headbandz and an old collection of classic games. They also have a big snakes and ladders mat and He kupe i kore.
- Spreydon Library: Mah-jong, Upwords, Scrabble, Scrabble Junior, Uno, Chess, Draughts, cards.
- Tūranga: Catan, Dominion, He Kupu I Kore, Forbidden Island, Codenames, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Sushi Go!. Paths and Pipes, Set, Hanabi, Hey That's My Fish!, Citadels, Exploding Kittens, Dixit, Bananagrams, Wordgrams, Saboteur, The Logo Board Game, Tsuro, Ticket to Ride: Europe, Dominoes, Chess, Jenga, Castle Ravenloft, Uno. Scrabble. Draughts. New games coming soon: Dungeons and Dragons Starter Set, Candyland, Fluxx, Unstable Unicorns, Concept, and Rat-a-tat game.
There are scrabble clubs at Linwood, Ōrauwhata: Bishopdale Library and Community Centre, Parklands, Shirley, South, and Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre.
If you want to play cards at the library, there are rummikub and card clubs.
Magic: The Gathering for 8 to 18 year olds takes place at Shirley Library on the first Saturday of the month.
Jigsaws are available for exchange at most libraries, but you can also work on them on tables in the library - there is often one set out ready to use.
Foosball (Table Football)
Get your soccer skills up without getting your boots muddy with a foosball challenge. There are foosball (table football) tables at Tūranga on Hapori | Community, Level 1, and in the library at Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre.
CINCH Community Information Christchurch
CINCH (Community Information Christchurch) lists indoor games clubs if you'd like to join. Try looking for: