Games and Gaming
PlayStation, table football or adventure - whatever your flavour you can play games at your library and enjoy time with your mates. From tabletop games like Mahjong to computer games like Minecraft or branching out into immersive 3D with our VR (virtual reality) sessions.
There are a range of popular video games at libraries for you to play, including Minecraft, FIFA 20, NBA 2K20, LEGO games (Jurassic World, Marvel Super Heroes 2, Harry Potter, Ninjago), Rocket League, and Crash Bandicoot.
There is an Xbox 360 at Aranui and Linwood.
We have PlayStations (PS4) at the following libraries:
- Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre
- Matuku Takotako: Sumner Centre
- New Brighton
- Ōrauwhata: Bishopdale Library and Community Centre
- Upper Riccarton
Rainy nights and winter indoors – perfect for getting the whānau around for a puzzle.
- Fendalton: Monopoly, Game of Life, Uno, Jenga, and chess.
- Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre: Ticket to Ride, Civilisation, Agricola, and Infernal Contraption.
- Linwood: Chess, draughts, Rummikub, mah-jong, scrabble, Operation, Jenga, Bop it, cards, and reversii.
- Matuku Takotako: Sumner Centre: Cluedo, Scrabble, Rummikub, Chess and checkers, Guess Who, The Dragon game and a pack of playing cards.
- New Brighton Library: Chess, Jenga, Catan, Exploding Kittens, Carcassonne, Ticket to ride, Yahtzee, Code names, Battleship, and Connect 4.
- Parklands: Battleships, Guess Who, Yahtzee, MahJong, Cluedo, Skip-Bo, Scrabble, and Trivial Pursuit.
- Redwood Library: Scrabble, Uno, 5 Second Rule, Connect Four, Poo, Headbandz and an old collection of classic games. They also have a big snakes and ladders mat and He kupe i kore.
- Spreydon Library: Mah-jong, Upwords, Scrabble, Scrabble Junior, Uno, Chess, Draughts, cards.
- Tūranga: Catan, Dominion, He Kupu I Kore, Forbidden Island, Codenames, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Sushi Go!. Paths and Pipes, Set, Hanabi, Hey That's My Fish!, Citadels, Exploding Kittens, Dixit, Bananagrams, Wordgrams, Saboteur, The Logo Board Game, Tsuro, Ticket to Ride: Europe, Dominoes, Chess, Jenga, Castle Ravenloft, Uno. Scrabble. Draughts, Dungeons and Dragons Starter Set, Candyland, Fluxx, Unstable Unicorns, Concept, and Rat-a-tat game.
There are scrabble clubs at Linwood, New Brighton, Ōrauwhata: Bishopdale Library and Community Centre, Parklands, Shirley, South, and Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre.
If you want to play cards at the library, there are rummikub and card clubs.
Magic: The Gathering for 8 to 18 year olds takes place at Shirley Library on the first Saturday of the month.
Jigsaws are available for exchange at most libraries, but you can also work on them on tables in the library - there is often one set out ready to use.
Tākaro - Games
Explore Māori games.
Gaming books, streaming video, and more
Explore books and resources about gaming in our collection.
Games and Gaming Resources
Get your block on and play Minecraft at the library.
We also have Minecraft Clubs for ages 6 to 13. Get creative, start crafting! Build imaginative worlds and battle nocturnal creatures. A tutor will be on hand to supervise and assist. Book a place in these popular clubs by phoning (03) 9417923 or emailling firstname.lastname@example.org.
Foosball (Table Football)
Get your soccer skills up without getting your boots muddy with a foosball challenge. There are foosball (table football) tables at Tūranga and New Brighton Library.
Games and fun for kids
We have computers for kids to play on at all of our branches except Diamond Harbour, Little River, Mobile Library, Parklands, and Tūranga. They feature websites and games for fun and learning. Tūranga has a Ricoh screen and Quiver fish for kids to play with.