The Times Digital Archive
Full digital version of The Times newspaper (1785-2019), the oldest daily newspaper in continuous publication. More than 200 years of covering the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries.
As the most famous English-language newspaper of this period, The Times is a critical resource for studying a range of subjects for the past 231 years. Examples of topics covered:
- Science and technology: The invention of the telephone, the telegraph, a huge number of home appliances, and space exploration, the Internet, mobile phones
- Geopolitics: The Russian Revolution, the creation of Israel, the end of the Cold War, and the rise of global terrorism
- War: The Crimean War, World War I, World War II, the Vietnam War, the collapse of Yugoslavia, the Gulf Wars, and the conflict in Afghanistan
- Disasters: The sinking of the Titanic, the San Francisco earthquake of 1906, genocide in Rwanda, the Boxing Day tsunami, and the Kobe earthquake
- Politics: The civil rights movement, the suffrage movement, the Thatcher-Major-Blair years in the UK, the second Reagan administration, and the George W. Bush presidency
- Sport: Coverage of Olympic games and major sports tournaments, plus controversial sports stories such as Roger Bannister's sub-four minute mile and Ben Johnson's drug-fueled win in Seoul in 1988
- Economics: The Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, the savings and loan crisis, the growth of China as a financial power, and the Asian banking crisis
- Business: The Industrial Revolution, the dotcom bubble, the rise of Microsoft and Apple
- Culture: The trial of Oscar Wilde, the death of Elvis Presley, the emergence of rock and roll and the "kinema" (later known as cinema), the rise of the paperback book, the Young British Artists movement, and the entry of hip-hop music into mainstream culture
You can also search this resource through Gale Primary Sources which allows you to simultaneously search several other historical newspapers at the same time including British Library Newspapers.
The Times Digital Archive 1785-2019
Full digital version of The Times newspaper (1785-2019), the oldest daily newspaper in continuous publication.