100 years ago today: Sign of the Kiwi opens

Sign of the Kiwi, 1922

In June 1917, the new tea house at the summit of Dyer’s Pass was officially opened. “The new house at Dyer’s Pass, now half an hour’s walk from the tram terminus, appears destined to be known just as the Rest House, although in some quarters it is called the Toll House. It is a tea […]

Read More

Opening of the Harbour Light Theatre

The queue had started long before the official opening at 8pm and while they waited the crowd was entertained by musical selections from the Lyttelton Marine Band. The Deputy Mayor, J.T. Morton, started the official proceedings, apologising for the absence of the Mayor, Mr Radcliffe, who had been unable to be present due to illness. […]

Read More

100 years ago today: Antarctic explorers remembered

Robert Falcon Scott statue

A hundred years ago, on 9 February 1917, two very different Antarctic stories were being celebrated in New Zealand. In Christchurch on 9 February 1917 a statue to honour the Antarctic explorer Robert Scott was unveiled. The Scott Memorial Statue stood on the corner of Worcester Street and Oxford Terrace and had been commissioned by the […]

Read More