Captain Underpants is one of the most popular book characters for kids and his books are hardly ever on the library shelves. His hilarious adventures have kids laughing out loud. On Sunday morning at the Auckland Writers Festival, I joined hundreds of Captain Underpants - both young and old - to listen to his creator Dav Pilkey talk about his books.
- Dav Pilkey was a super happy kid because he could do what he liked all the time...until he started school. School wiped the smile off his face because he found it really hard.
- He has ADHD and dyslexia but he hasn't let this stop him from doing what he loves the most - writing and drawing comics.
- His teacher gave him the idea for Captain Underpants when she used the world 'underwear' and all the kids in his class cracked up laughing. He discovered that underwear is very powerful. He drew his first picture of Captain Underpants that day.
- That same teacher told him he couldn't spend the rest of his life making 'silly comic books'. He proved her wrong!
- He likes to be close to nature and loves kayaking.
- He has a pet giant beetle called Megalon.
- He writes his books in a cave.
- He has written two more Ricky Ricotta books because he pinky-swore to a kid a signing that he would finish the series.
- The Adventures of Dog Man, written by George and Harold in kindergarten, is coming out next year. This will be Dav's 60th book!
- There is a new Captain Underpants book coming in August - Captain Underpants and the Sensational Saga of Sir Stinksalot. In this book we get to meet the adult versions of George and Harold.
Dav Pilkey's presentation was full of action, thrills and laffs and was one of my favourite sessions of the Auckland Writers Festival.
Come and meet Dav Pilkey in Christchurch!
You too could meet Dav Pilkey in Christchurch this weekend. Dav is going to be talking and signing books at Fendalton School this Saturday 23 May from 12 to 1pm. If you would like to go along you'll need a ticket, which can be collected from The Children's Bookshop.