These events are recommended for ages 11 to 24 years.
Comics Character Workshop Saturday 19 May, 1 to 3.30pm, Shirley Library
Learn to create your own comic characters with comic illustrator/fantasy artist Ryan Green. This workshop covers the basics of figure drawing so you can bring your own characters to life.
Playstation Tournament Monday 21, Wednesday 23 and Friday 25 May 3.30 to 4.30 pm, Shirley Library
Test out your skills and be in to WIN great prizes. Monday 21, Wednesday 23 and Friday 25 May
The teenage years: tips, advice & a chat on parenting teens Thursday 24 May 1pm to 2pm, Shirley Library
Amber Paterson (Bounce) and Anna Mowat (All Right?) have been working together to create some helpful tips for parents based on young people's own advice. Amber and Anna will share these top tips, mixed in with their own stories and experience working with and parenting young people a as well as recent research. For Anna, a parent of a teenager, she says it's the best parenting advice she's ever received!
Linwood College Showcase Concert Thursday 24 May 5pm to 7pm, Linwood Library at Eastgate
Linwood Library is delighted to host Linwood College. Come and support our local students showcase their musical and dancing talents at this family friendly and energy filled event.
Part of New Zealand Music Month,
Drawing and Visual Storytelling Workshop Saturday 26 May, 1–3.30pm, Shirley Library
Build on your drawing skills and learn the craft of bringing stories to life with comic illustrator/fantasy artist Ryan Green.
Poetry Writing Workshop Sunday 27 May, 2–3pm, Shirley Library
Join local poet and creative writing tutor Greg O’Connell to compose original persona poems reflecting the Youth Week 2018 theme: Be who you want to be, and inspired by the work of America’s bestselling poet Billy Collins.
- Read the article in uncover huraina issue 7
- Read it in the PDF version of uncover huraina issue 7 [6.5MB PDF]
Find out what else is happening during Youth Week
- Like Youth Week on Facebook
- Follow Youth Week on Twitter
- Sign up to Youth Week e-updates
- Youth Week events in Canterbury
Youth organisations and resources
Here are some websites and organisations that focus on youth issues:
- Bounce is a bunch of tips, ideas and inspiration to help you live life well. Bounce is a New Zealand Red Cross project that partners with young people for young people.
- Ministry of Youth Development
- The Ministry of Youth Development (Te Manatu Whakahiato Taiohi) promotes the interests of young people aged between 12 and 24 years inclusive. The Ministry encourages and assists young people to be involved in the social, educational, economic and cultural development of New Zealand, both locally and nationally.
- YouthLaw Aotearoa
- Free national legal service for those under 25 years.
- Youth Parliament
- The Youth Parliament takes place every three years and 2016 was the most recent. It was an opportunity for young New Zealanders to learn about New Zealand’s democracy and influence public decision-making.
- Youth health services in Christchurch
- Our page on health services for young people in Christchurch.