- George Gould
- Frederick Maurice Warren
- Harry Bell Johnstone
- Richard William Fereday
- Walpole Cheshire Fendall
- William Cuddon
George Gould (d.1941), son of the founder of the firm of stock and station agents later known as Pyne Gould Guinness was an early resident of Fendalton. In 1891 he bought "Avonbank" a property of eleven acres running from the Avon River to Fendalton Road and built his home there. The house was in Fendalton Road, approximately opposite Wood Lane. A photograph taken in the 1920s shows a large imposing wooden home. George Gould died in 1941 after 18 years as chairman of Pyne Gould Guinness Ltd.
Frederick Maurice Warren
Another director of Pyne Gould’s was Frederick Maurice Warren, grandfather of Sir Miles Warren. born 1862, he joined Lewis & Gould as a junior in 1882 and started a career spanning 62 years eventually becoming a director of the firm. His property "Waipuna" in Clyde Road covered seven acres of which three were in garden; it was known as a showplace.
Harry Bell Johnstone
Harry Bell Johnstone arrived in Canterbury in 1858 and practised as a solicitor with William Wynn-Williams. In 1866 he was elected to the Riccarton seat in the Provinical Council defeating John Shand of Shand’s Emporium. (It is thought Shand’s Emporium was built for Johnstone as office premises about 1860). For a time Johnstone was Provincial Solicitor. He was also one of the main speculative land buyers of early Canterbury, buying most of his land at Oxford and Sumner. In 1869 he imported emus which he presented to the Acclimatisation Society. He bought ten acres of land west of Fendalton Road (near Hagley Park and the railway line) for £300 and built a seven-room house designed by Frederick Strouts, architect of the Canterbury Club. On his marriage to Isabella Munro of Lincoln in 1883 he moved to Tauranga. He died in 1894 and his widow sold the Fendalton land for £1500.
Richard William Fereday (1820? - 99)
Opposite St. Barnabas Church and long since demolished, was the home of Richard Fereday and his wife who emigrated to Canterbury on the "Queen of the Mercey" in 1862. In 1864, after being admitted as a barrister and solicitor, Fereday set up practice in Christchurch. He became an inaugural member of the Canterbury District Law Society and later a member of the N.Z. Law Society.
It was as an entomologist that Fereday was to become best known. In England he had developed a knowledge of moths and butterflies and he maintained this interest when he came to N.Z. His first scientific paper was published in London in 1867 and by 1872 he was able to identify 300 species, most of which were new to science. This work continued throughout his life, and in his last published paper he listed 616 New Zealand species.
Most of Fereday’s collection of English and NZ insects was presented to the Canterbury Museum; the NZ material forms a very important early record of the country’s fauna.
Among Fereday’s other interests were archery, art (he helped form the CSA), education, In 1881 he supported the establishment of a system of meteorological stations in Canterbury.
His wife, Mary Ann Fereday, described as an active parish worker, died at Fendalton 31/05/1890. Fereday himself died 30/08/1899. He had been an enthusiastic amateur who made a considerable contribution to science in 19th century New Zealand.
Walpole Cheshire Fendall (1830 - 1913)
Walpole Fendall was the man who gave Fendalton its name. He emigrated from Yorkshire in 1850 and took up land north of the Waimairi Stream. He claimed a 50 acre parcel of land, set about sub-dividing it, but only lived in the area for a few years. His main passion was horse racing, but he also dabbled rather unsuccessfully in politics.
Rev. Henry Fendall, a widower with 4 sons and 4 daughters, was the vicar of Crambe, a village in Yorkshire. Early in 1850 he and his sons applied to the Canterbury Association for the right to select a 50 acre section. W.C. Fendall, the third son, came out immediately to claim the section, paying £3 a acre for it. Rev. Fendall and his other sons arrived in different ships at different times. They did not come to the north-west area of Christchurch but worked in the parishes of Avonside, Heathcote and later Cust.
The Fendalls had purchased Rural Section 18, land running in between the Wairarapa and Waimairi Streams. It is thought W.C. Fendall built a whare, or cob cottage, where Quamby (Holly Lea) would be built later. He lost no time in beginning sub-division of his land. This, plus the fact a road was cut through the land, led to the area being Fendall Town - although at this stage there was no church, no shops, nothing that constitutes a "town". Fendall, with his wife Lucy whom he had married in 1854 at St Michael’s, left the Fendalton area for the Kowai district in North Canterbury in 1860. Even before this, in about 1854, he had leased a 100 acre Riccarton farm, so his association with the Fendalton area was fleeting.
Fendall’s main interest was in horse-racing and he was an original member of the Canterbury Jockey Club. He was one of the stewards at the first race meeting held in Canterbury, in Hagley Park in 1852 and his bay mare won one of the races. Along with his Fendalton neighbour, W. Guise Brittan, he rode at many meetings.
Much of the biographical detail held at the Canterbury Museum concerns itself with Fendall’s life in North Canterbury. There is quite detailed information given on his attempts (mostly unsuccessful) to enter politics, although he did get to be a member of the old Provincial Council of Canterbury. Later, disillusioned by his many defeats he moved to Pleasant Point where he built a concrete house, naming it Fendall’s Folly.
There is some physical description of Fendall in Sarah Courage’s book. Under the pseudonym of Solomon Jolliboy she describes him as being
rather stout and
addicted to the pleasures of the table,
not a handsome man with there being
material enough in the flabby acreage of his pendulous cheeks for two or three good-looking faces. He was apparently a martinet in his home: but then he did have seven children.
Both Lucy and Walpole Fendall are buried in the graveyard at St Paul’s, Papanui.
William Cuddon (1835 - 1924)
William Cuddon arrived in Lyttelton in 1856 on the Egmont, bringing with him the first engine and boiler imported into Canterbury. He had been trained as a brewer and maltster by his father who owned a large brewery in Suffolk. Cuddon bought 10 acres of land in Fendalton from Daniel Inwood (1803-78). Inwood had come to Canterbury on the Sir George Seymour 1850, buying part of Rural Section 18 from W.C. Fendall and there building a slab hut and his first mill. It was later, in 1869 when he wanted to shift his mill operations to Hereford Street, that he sold some of his land to William Cuddon.
Cuddon’s land was bordered by what is now Straven Road, near Fendalton Road. He built his home (described in the Cyclopedia of N.Z. Vol. 3 1903 p122 as
a large and convenient residence) where Heathfield Avenue now runs, plus a mill, a brewery and a malthouse. Each building was two storeys high, built of brick and stone. The motive power was steam, generated by a sixteen horse-power boiler, driving a vertical engine of twelve horse-power. Straven Road at this time was a blind road, only going as far as the Waimairi Stream and was then known as Brewery Lane.
The business grew and prospered. In 1903 the output of the works was equivalent to 30,000 bushels per annum. Among the products were pearl barley, ground pepper, rice, ginger, coffee, split peas. There were some exports to Australia.
Cuddon was popular in the area because of his private bowling green.
Cuddon’s wife Marianne is buried in the Barbadoes Street Cemetery. She died at Fendalton in 1898. Two of their children are also buried there: one of them, Samuel, had died at sea aged 15 years.
- Courage, Sarah Amelia, ca 1845-1901. Lights and shadows of colonial life: twenty-six years in Canterbury, New Zealand. Christchurch: University of Canterbury Library, 1965
- Macdonald, G.R., 1891-1967. G.R. MacDonald dictionary of Canterbury biographies. Christchurch, 1964?
- The Cyclopedia of New Zealand. Vol.3 Canterbury provincial district. Christchurch: Cyclopedia company, 1903
- Looser, Frieda Fendall’s legacy: a history of Fendalton and North-west Christchurch. Christchurch, N.Z.: Canterbury University Press, 2002
- The architectural heritage of Christchurch. 2. Shand’s Emporium. Christchurch, N.Z.; Town Planning Division, 1982.
- Dictionary of New Zealand biography. Volume two, 1870-1869. Wellington, N.Z.: Allen & Unwin: Dept of Internal Affairs, 1990-1993.
- Penney, Sarah E.W. Beyond the city: the land and its people, Riccarton, Waimairi, Paparua. Christchurch. Penney Ash Publications, c1977.
- Stevens, Percy G. Pyne, Gould, Guinness Ltd: the jubilee history, 1919-1969. Christchurch: Pyne, Gould, Guinness Ltd., 1970