One of the world’s premier military aviation collections is housed at the Air Force Museum of New Zealand 45 Harvard Avenue, Wigram in Christchurch. Their mission is to preserve and present the history of New Zealand military aviation for commemoration, inspiration, learning and enjoyment.
Visit the Air Force Museum website.
Like the Air Force Museum on:
Research at the Air Force Museum
The Air Force Museum of New Zealand’s Research Collection consists of two archives. The paper archive comprises personal collections, manuscripts and ephemera, logbooks, journals, technical drawings and publications, maps and a research library of over 3,500 books.
The photographic archive comprises some 700,000 prints and negatives as well as photographic albums, film and sound objects.
Their collection includes:
- Published books on military aviation topics
- Unpublished manuscripts
- Operations Record Books for squadrons and bases (also known as Unit Histories)
- Aircrew log books
- Letters, diaries and other personal papers
- Maps, plans and technical drawings
- Technical manuals for aircraft and equipment
- Photographs and negatives of people, places and aircraft
- Film and sound
- Paintings, works on paper and prints.
- Photos of the Air Force Museum on the Discovery Wall
- Photos of Wigram on the Discovery Wall
- Henry Wigram
- Wigram Air Base
- Wigram Air Base timeline
- Canterbury (New Zealand) Aviation Co. Limited – services and training pamphlet 1918
- Canterbury (N.Z.) Aviation Co. : the first hundred pilots 1918
- Lady Wigram Trophy