Names for this outer bay range from Ōahoa to Ikoa. Together with a range of English interpretations it was finally settled in 1982 that the name of the bay would be Oashore (Go Ashore).
Edward Weller and his family
Ōahoa is known for the whaling station established there in 1839 by Edward Weller who “acquired” from Korako, an Ōtākou (Otago) chief, all of the lands from the “Waitaki River to Banks Peninsula”.
Edward Weller would later marry Nikuru, daughter of Taiaroa (the Ōtākou fighting chief), and their daughter Nani (Hana Wera) Weller would marry Raniera Ellison. This Ngāi Tahu family is still prominent in tribal affairs today.
In the bay there is a creek originating from a spring named after Moki, the renowned Ngāi Tahu warrior, who conquered the Ngāti Māmoe people of Banks Peninsula. Moki was the son of Tūāhuriri whose descendants settled in Waitaha (Canterbury).
Images of Ōahoa (Oashore)
- Gordon Ogilvie, Banks Peninsula – Cradle of Canterbury, Government Printer, 2007
- Te Maire Tau and Atholl Anderson editors. Ngāi Tahu A Migration History, Bridget William Books, 2008