Despite the rhetoric not everyone gets the same chances in life.
Public libraries have always had a role in helping to level out the playing field for those of us not blessed with position or wealth. Our goal is to support everyone in whatever endeavour they choose to undertake.
One of the new tools we have to aid us with this is World Book Discover. This product is an online reference resource specifically designed for reluctant readers, people who have learning difficulties and people with English as their second language. World Book Discover contains tools and content specifically for those who need help in reading and comprehension. It includes:
- Easy-to-read articles on topics of interest that include reading comprehension questions;
- An uncluttered interface and useful activities;
- Automated translations into 30 languages;
- Text-to-speech feature that allows users to hear text read aloud;
- Individual accounts that allow users to save their research;
- A section on life skills that helps negotiate financial, health, and housing issues.
Users can access this product from home with their library card and password / PIN, or in libraries from the Source or the catalogue. Its aim is to deliver information in a simplified manner to those who need it.
Have a play and spread the word!