Your application has impressed the employer enough to invite you for an interview, so this is your opportunity to really convince them you are the right person for the job. The key to job interviews is preparation. Also, consider your appearance and know the background information.
- Re-read the job information that you have already received.
- Find out about your potential employer by looking at their website and researching them online.
Practice your interview technique. Get a family member or friend to ask you questions similar to the ones you might expect in an interview. Why are you the person for this job? What skills and experience have you got that would be relevant to this role? How do you think you can develop this role?
Some companies use the STAR interview technique, also known as the SAR or PAR technique (Situation or Task, Action you took, Results you achieved). You will be asked to describe a situation in which you showed certain skills. For instance:
- Give an example of a time when you set a goal and were able to meet or achieve it.
- Talk about a time when you had to go above and beyond the call of duty in order to get a job done.
- Give an example of when you showed initiative and took the lead.
Also, hard as it may be, relax and be yourself.
Find resources in our collection
Search for resources about employment interviewing.