Find out what's on this school holidays for Christchurch children. Check out the holiday programmes and activities at our libraries and learning centres, and shows and performances for kids.
Library and Learning Centre holiday programmes and activities
Our libraries and learning centres offer a variety of accessible, safe and affordable activities for children during their school holidays. Programmes and activities are aimed at children between the ages of five and 15 years:
- Visit our page on library and learning centre holiday programmes
- Explore all the classes and activities at libraries and learning centres
Summertime Reading Club – Kōrero pukapuka ā te wā o raumati
Our annual Summertime Reading Club programme is for kids between 0 and 13 years old inclusive. The competition starts on Friday 1 December 2017 and finishes on Friday 19 January 2018 at 5pm. Try an eBook, read an eMagazine or read to someone – tell us your reading experiences and be in to WIN great prizes. You can also go WILD about reading in the Botanic Gardens!
Christchurch holiday programmes and workshops
The following organisations are running holiday programmes or workshops for kids or teens in the December 2017 / January 2018 holidays:
- Christchurch Art Gallery Christmas Drop-in, and Summer Create Space
- Christchurch Botanic Gardens includes WILD about reading in the Gardens
- Court Theatre In the script (ages 13 to 16), and Tell us a story (ages 8 to 11)
- Imagination Station Holiday Brick School
- Air Force Museum
- International Antarctic Centre Antarctic Explorer (ages 6 to 13), Penguin Keeper for a Day (ages 10 to 13)
- Neighbourhood Trust holiday programmes
- School for Young Writers Summer Writing school for ages 13 to 19 and Holiday workshops for Years 5 and 6; and Years 7 and 8
Search CINCH, our Community Information Christchurch database, for more Canterbury holiday programmes.
Find an OSCAR programme (Out of School Care and Recreation).
Shows, movies, and performances
- A Christmas Carol Court Theatre, 2 to 23 December
- The Wizard of Oz Southern Ballet, 15 and 16 December
- Elf at the Christchurch Art Gallery, Wednesday 20 December, 6pm
- Aladdin and Grease, Leigh Construction Outdoor Cinema, North Quad, Arts Centre, Thursday 11 January 6pm and 8pm
- Moana and Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Leigh Construction Outdoor Cinema, North Quad, Arts Centre, Friday 12 January 6pm and 8pm
- Puff the Magic Dragon Court Theatre, 17 to 27 January 2018
- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory Christchurch Art Gallery, Wednesday 17 January 2018 6pm
Kid friendly movies on in the holidays include Kiwi Christmas, Star Wars: The last Jedi, Wonder, Paddington 2, Coco, Ferdinand, and Jumanji 3D Welcome to the Jungle.
What's on in Christchurch
- Sunday 3 December 2017: Christchurch’s Santa Parade on Riccarton Road.
- Saturday 9 December 2017: New Brighton Christmas Parade.
- Sunday 10 December 2017: Rangiora Santa Parade
SummerTimes is on from 1 December. Plan your summer with the SummerTimes events guide, there's something for all ages, tastes and cultures. Check out the family events for kid-friendly goings on like Kite Day on 20 January.
Things to do, and places to go in Christchurch
Get close to live tuatara 10am to 1pm, Wednesday 20 December, i-SITE Visitor Information Centre
Most of these venues are free but some have a entry fee. There is more information on their websites.
- Air Force Museum
- Arion Farm Park
- Canterbury Astronomical Society Open nights
- Canterbury Museum (The Great Museum Santa Search is a fun activity for tamariki)
- Christchurch Art Gallery see Family and kids events
- Christchurch Botanic Gardens
- Christchurch Gondola
- Christchurch Tram
- Ferrymead Heritage Park
- Flip Out Trampoline Arena
- Imagination Station
- Inflatable World
- International Antarctic Centre
- Mega Air Trampoline Arena
- Orana Park
- Playgrounds as listed in Find:Chch. The Margaret Mahy Family Playground - Tākaro ā poi is a popular destination.
- Rutherford's Den at The Arts Centre. Interactive, science-themed family fun.
- Toy Collector
- Willowbank Wildlife Reserve
- YMCA Clip 'n Climb