Name: Christine Johnston
Date of birth: 4 January 1950
Place of birth: Dunedin
Now living in: Dunedin
- What is your favourite food?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- I try to forget all my embarrassing moments.
- How do you relax?
- Read, walk the dog.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- What were you like at school?
- Keen and bright, but a bad speller.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- Tom’s Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- William Shakespeare.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- I just enjoy whatever I’m reading at the time and I’m always keen to discover new ‘favourites’.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- I had lots of stories inside my head, wanting to get out.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- I work in my study.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- Creating something from scratch is the best thing. The worst thing is waiting for the publisher to say ‘yes’ or ‘no’.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- A photographer.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Just do it!
This interview is from 2002.