Top 10 budgeting tips
Some great resources to help you save money and manage your budget.
1. Join the library
2. Set yourself a budget
- Explore the Sorted budget advice pages.
- Check out Community organisations offering budgeting help.
- Search our catalogue for personal finances.
- Browse personal finance websites listed in our Internet Gateway.
3. Reduce your travel costs
Check the information at Energy Efficient Travel.
4. Reduce your energy costs
Try our Power saving tips resource.
5. Sell up your surplus
- Sites like Trade Me and Sella.
- Catalogues help you find the value of stamps, coins, antiques and other collectables.
- Value your stuff with PriceIt Antiques & Collectibles database - access with your library card and Password / PIN, or at your library.
6. Shop smart
- How to cut your shopping bill
- Trade Me
- Consumer magazine and website to find out the best value, best-performed products and services.
- Our Good Life section has some great suggestions for useful resources.
- Make your own bread, clothes and furniture.
- Felt is a New Zealand site where you can buy and sell new hand-crafted items.
- Etsy is an American version for hand-crafted items.
8. Grow your own
See the resources in our Gardening guide.
9. Do it yourself
Fix your car or do up your house. The library has a collection of do it yourself books, magazines and videos and DVDs.
10. Cheap fun
Find parks, walking tracks, libraries, museums and local events which are often free.