Kia ora and thanks to all of you who entered the 2018 / 2019 Summertime Reading Challenge. The lucky winners have been contacted. They have scored summer fun prizes like a chilly bin with a bluetooth speaker, beach chairs, boogie board, slip n slide, and sports sets (beach cricket, bowls, badminton, and volleyball) – and a ride on flamingo.
- Sophie, age 15, Upper Riccarton Library.
- Sarah, age 13, Hornby Library.
- Logan, age 8, Redwood Library.
- R. Bell, age 5, Linwood Library.
- Darcy, age 4, Redwood Library.
- Olivia, age 8. Ōrauwhata: Bishopdale Library and Community Centre.
- Phoebe, age 11, Fendalton Library.
- Caitlin, age 6, Te Hāpua: Halswell Library.
- Oliver, age 7, Upper Riccarton Library.
- Charlie, age 9, Redwood Library.
The Summertime Reading Challenge ran from Saturday 1 December 2018 to Thursday 28 February 2019. It will be back next summer.
Our Summertime Reading Team gathered prizes! Check out some of these AWESOME summer goodies for winners of the Summertime Reading Challenge.
How to enter
Entrants could post a completed Summertime Reading Challenge postcard at your library, or enter online:
There was also a Facebook competition for ages 13 plus.
Spot prizes during the Summertime Reading Challenge.
Congratulations to Sophie and Adam, both aged 6 years who were the final book spot prize winners.
Monday 18 February: Congratulations to this week's winners Corbyn (5 years) and Olivia (8 years) who each receive a book.
Monday 4 February: Congratulations to this week's winners Gus (5 years) and Alice (5 years) who each receive a book to read this summer.
Monday 14 January: Congratulations to Luca (7 years) and Olivia (8 years) who have each won a copy of Aotearoa by Gavin Bishop, signed by the author.
Want some ideas for your Summertime Reading Challenge? Try these!
- Best of 2018
- Best books for kids and teens
- Librarians select their top reads/watches/listens
- Library customers pick their favourites of 2018
- Best booklists of 2018 from New Zealand and around the world
Who can enter?
There are two separate competition categories running during this time that you may be eligible to enter.
- Children aged between 0 and 13 years of age inclusive.
- 13+ years of age inclusive.
What if you have parents who work for Christchurch City Council?
That is fine, the children of Council employees can still enter the competition.
Do I need to have a library card?
No. You do not need to be a member of Christchurch City Libraries to be eligible to enter.
Where can I get a postcard entry form?
You can pick up a postcard from any Christchurch City Library, cut one out of the latest edition of Huraina, download a copy or simply fill in the online entry form for kids or adults to be in the draw!
How do I enter for the prize draw?
You can enter when you have had an adult tick, sticker or stamp that you have had 5 reading experiences from the options listed on the challenge sheet. Once you have completed this – take your entry form in to any Christchurch City Libraries and hand to a staff member to be in the draw to win.
How many entries in the prize draw am I allowed?
You may enter as many times as you like.
What are the prizes?
The prizes are being gathered as we type! And will include movie passes, book vouchers, and other Christchurch experiences for you and your family to enjoy over the summer.
When will the winners be drawn?
The winners will be randomly drawn and announced on our website and Facebook page in the week following the close of both competitions.
What if I have more questions?
Contact us and we can answer your questions.
My child is too young to complete the reading experiences on their own – how am I still able to enter?
The emphasis this year is on encouraging shared family experiences – your preschoolers will obviously be having these experiences alongside an adult. Have fun together as you celebrate the joy of reading!
Terms and conditions
- The Summertime Reading Challenge is running in two age categories this year:
1. Children aged between 0 and 13 years of age inclusive.
2. 13+ years of age inclusive.
- The competition is open between 1 December 2018 and 28 February 2019.
- Entries must be returned to any one of the Christchurch City Libraries, or submitted via online entry form by 5pm on Thursday 28 February 2019.
- Prizes will be advised and will include Christchurch experiences for the family to enjoy over summer. Winners will be drawn at random and announced on our website and Facebook page in the week following the close of both competitions.
- Prize allocation is at the discretion of the Christchurch City Council. All decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Entries must have all correct contact details and at least 5 challenges stamped, stickered or ticked to be in the draw.
Postcards and posters
Download the postcard for ages 13+ [2MB PDF]
Download the poster [3MB PDF]