Our annual Summertime Reading Club has closed. Congratulations to all of our winners:
Jonathan W. (aged 8)
Otis S. (aged 8)
Sophie P. (aged 11)
Ben F. (aged 5)
Anjali S. (aged 5)
Millie B. (aged 6)
Nicole K. (aged 7)
Azaria R. (aged 7)
Luke R. (aged 5)
Dylan O. (aged 7)
How the Summertime Reading Club worked
Our annual Summertime Reading programme was for kids between 5 and 12 years old inclusive. The competition ran between 9 am 8 December 2014 and 5 pm 23 January 2015. There was also a competition for 11 - 18 year olds on The Pulse/Te Auaha.
Kids picked up the double-sided reading adventure map from their local library or printed one from our website. They tried their best to complete the challenges – you can do one side or both sides – your choice! Kids brought their completed map into their local library and received a badge and/or sticker reward depending upon which side they completed. They could look at our blog post if they needed some help with the challenges, or come to one of our Summertime Reading Live events to tick off some of the boxes.
Library staff also entered kids into the prize draw online. This qualified them for 10 prize draws for 5 of the year’s best children’s books and their school for one prize draw of 50 of the year’s best children’s books.
Each library received a ticket to the end of year Summer Reading prize giving party on 31 January 2015.
Download the Reading Maps
Kids came into the Library to pick up their Reading Map, or downloaded them and got started straight away.
We love it when you bring in any pictures/designs you have done as part of your reading map. Also you can email us any photos of yourself being read to, or reading in an unusual place etc.
Who can enter?
Children who are residents of Christchurch City, Selwyn, Hurunui or Waimakariri Districts aged between 5 and 12 years of age inclusive. You will need to have a Christchurch City Libraries card to enter the prize draws.
What if you have parents who work for Christchurch City Council?
That is fine, the children of Council employees can still enter the competition.
Do I need to have a library card?
Yes, you need a library card to enter the prize draw. But if you don't have one, you can join for free at any of our libraries. You can still collect a sticker and badge without a Library Card (if you have made a good attempt to complete the reading challenges).
How do I enter for the prize draw? And how do I get my badge/s and bus sticker?
As long as you have made a reasonable attempt to complete one or both sides of the reading maps you can show it to any Christchurch City Library staff member and they will enter you in the prize draw (if you have a Christchurch City Libraries card) and give you a sticker and badge.
How many entries in the prize draw am I allowed?
Every child gets one entry whether they complete one or both sides of the reading map. But there is a bus sticker and matching badge for completing one side (countryside) and a different badge for the other side (skateboard park).
I need some help with the challenges?
We've written a blog post to help you, or come into our Libraries and we're happy to help.
What are the prizes?
There are ten prizes of five books. A prize of 50 books for the school with the highest number of entries. All winners get to attend the prize giving party on 31 January 2015.
Will you come and talk to my school about the competition?
If we can arrange it - yes - we would love to come and tell you all about the competition. Contact us and we will try to help.
What if I have more questions?
Contact us and we can answer your questions.
Terms and conditions
- You must be a resident of Christchurch City, Selwyn, Hurunui or Waimakariri Districts aged between 5 and 12 years of age inclusive to enter. You must also have a Christchurch City Libraries card to enter the prize draws.
- Entries open 9am Monday 8 December 2014.
- Entries close 5pm Friday 23 January 2015.
- We will notify winners by telephone and/or email.
- Employees of Christchurch City Council are not eligible to enter the prize draw. Their immediate families are allowed to enter.
- Any photographs submitted to us for the competition or taken at the prize giving party remain the property of Christchurch City libraries and may be used for promotion purposes.
- If you are a winner, you consent to your name, photograph, entry and/or interview being used for reasonable publicity purposes by Christchurch City Libraries.
- The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winners will be chosen by random draw from the submitted entries.
- Prize are as stated and are not transferable.
- Contact us for any enquiries regarding the competition.