Name: Barbara Todd
Date of birth: 8 June 1941
Place of birth: Seattle, Washington, USA
Now living in: Kaikoura
- What is your favourite food?
- Chocolate and veges.
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- ‘Whale lady’.
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- I was working on a boat and telling the other passengers about whales when I slipped on some water and fell overboard.
- How do you relax?
- Swimming, and walking on the beach or in the bush.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- My English and Biology teachers.
- What were you like at school?
- I was a good student but occasionally I was a bit naughty and skipped school to go surfing.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Favourite: Biology
Least Favourite: Geometry
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- Little House on the Prairie series, by Laura Ingalls Wilder; Black Beauty, by Anna Sewell.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- Jacques Cousteau.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Author: Michael Ondaatje
Children’s author: A. A. Milne
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- I wanted to give young people accurate information about animals who share our planet, and create awareness of the problems they are facing.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- A bright sunny studio, and on the beach.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- Best thing - sharing information
Worst thing - typing! Being indoors
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- I only write part-time. Most of the time I work with whales and dolphins and do workshops with children.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Write about the things/feelings you feel passionate about.
This interview is from 2002.