Date of birth: 3 July 1962
Place of birth: Motueka, New Zealand
Now living in: Lyttelton, Banks Peninsula
- What is your favourite food?
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- There have been so many.
- How do you relax?
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- Mum and Dad.
- What were you like at school?
- A BRAT!
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Favourite: English.
Most hated: Maths.
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- Tom Sawyer, by Mark Twain.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- Hoturoa captain of the Tainui canoe.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Poetry: Dylan Thomas
Novels: James Ellroy
Children’s books: Shaun Tan
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- Because I have always enjoyed making up stories.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- Sort of… In the living room of my house.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- Best thing: you are in charge of yourself.
Worst thing: it’s hard to make money.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- A publisher.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Keep writing!!
This interview is from 2006.