Date of birth: 13 October 1967
Place of birth: Featherston
Now living in: Wellington
- What is your favourite food?
- Sugar in any form.
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Whatever it was it passed unnoticed. I’m hard to embarrass.
- How do you relax?
- Writing, cycling, running, listening to music, arguing…
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- Family, teachers, friends.
- What were you like at school?
- A big mouth, a bit of a bully, academically able.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Favourite: Maths
Most hated: Social Studies
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- Watership Down by Richard Adams.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Philip Pullman
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- I love telling stories.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- At the beach or by a river.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- The best thing is getting to share your stories. There’s nothing bad about it.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- I’m a teacher, and it’s the best damned job in the world.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- There’s no such thing as an aspiring writer. If you write, you’re a writer. So write, and share your stories with everybody you know.
This interview is from 2002.