Name: Beverley Dunlop
Date of birth: 25 August 1935
Place of birth: Takaka
Now living in: Napier
- What is your favourite food?
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- At school. Talking to my friend about whether we were prettier than two other girls. Finding the other girls were sitting within earshot laughing their heads off!!
- How do you relax?
- TV and reading
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- My Mum read me poetry and Dad was always writing stories.
- What were you like at school?
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Most hated: Maths
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- My Uncle Ted.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Roald Dahl.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- I wanted to share my experiences with other people.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- No, I can write anywhere.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- The best thing is knowing people enjoy what I write.
Worst – the long hours re-writing my books and stories.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- A musician or an illustrator.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Read a lot and write a lot.
This interview is from 2002.