Name: Brendan Clarkin
Date of birth: 14 June 1958
Place of birth: Hamilton
Now living in: Tauranga
- What is your favourite food?
- Chinese and pizza - lots of it!
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- As a child, having someone vomit all over me on a bus on a school trip.
- How do you relax?
- I read, walk and dance and spend time with my children.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- The writers of my favourite books. I thought they were just wonderful for what they did.
- What were you like at school?
- I was fairly shy and a steady worker. I didn’t get into much trouble.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- My favourite subject was English. Science was the least favourite.
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- I had no special favourite; I just loved reading everything.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- Jesus Christ.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- I love Margaret Mahy’s books. I also enjoy J.R.R. Tolkien and Terry Brooks.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- I loved reading and wanted to be able to create a whole new world that would live in the imagination.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- No, I just write at my desk.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- The worst thing is not being able to write whenever I would like to. I still have to work to earn a living. The best thing is meeting people who have read and enjoyed my writing.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- I would like to be a teacher, and I am!
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Read lots, write lots, and have fun. If you enjoy what you are doing you will be successful.
This interview is from 2002.