Date of birth: 15 September 1961
Place of birth: Auckland
Now living in: Waitakere, Auckland
- What is your favourite food?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- A bird pooped on my head (at school).
- How do you relax?
- Listen to music, walk in the bush or at the beach with my dog. Play games.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- My parents and brothers.
- What were you like at school?
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Loved art and story writing and maths. Hated having my work marked or being told what to do e.g. what to write about.
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- The Jungle Book, by Rudyard Kipling. I loved heaps of stories — fairytales, scary stories, stories about real people. I read a lot!
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- No one favourite author. I like so many.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- It felt good to write.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- I like to be on my own but it can be anywhere.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- The best thing is writing a really good story that I like. The worst thing is people not liking my stories or criticising them.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- An artist.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Just write whatever you want. Don’t worry about whether it’s any good, just write for yourself.
This interview is from 2005.