Name: David Elliot
Date of birth: 10 November 1952
Place of birth: Ashburton
Now living in: Port Chalmers, Dunedin
- What is your favourite food?
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Talking to a group of 6th form girls and not realising that my fly was undone.
- How do you relax?
- Swimming and walking the dog (we have an old dog called Kelly).
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- My mum and dad.
- What were you like at school?
- Quiet and shy.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Favourite: English
Most hated: Maths
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- Leonardo da Vinci.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
J. R. R. Tolkien.
Children’s: Margaret Mahy.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- Because I wanted to express my imagination.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- In my studio, on my walks, anywhere really.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- Best: Meeting lots of other people who love books.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- An explorer.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Read lots of books and think about how they are written.
This interview is from 2005.