Name: Gavin Bishop
Date of birth: 13 February 1946
Place of birth: Invercargill
Now living in: Christchurch
- What is your favourite food?
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- I don’t have one - well, not that I know of.
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- I’ve had so many that I can’t think of one to single out.
- How do you relax?
- I read, watch movies and go shopping.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- Characters in books and movies.
- What were you like at school?
- I think I was quiet. I liked doing art and reading. I liked nature study too.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- My favourite subject at school was art. And my most hated subject was arithmetic followed closely by P.E.
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- The Hobbitopens a new window.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- William Cole from Melbourne. He published Cole Funny Picture Books in the late 1800's.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Margaret Mahyopens a new window.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- So that I could write about things that I like to draw.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- I have a studio and office which used to be an old laundry.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- The best thing about being a writer is being invited to school to meet people who have been reading my books. The worst thing - spending so much time alone.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- A homeopathic doctor.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Read lots of books. Watch lots of movies.
Read a short story online by Gavin Bishopopens a new window
Read some books by Gavin Bishopopens a new window
More information about Gavin Bishopopens a new window
Gavin Bishop’s websiteopens a new window
Read posts featuring Gavin Bishopopens a new window on the Christchurch Kids Blogopens a new window
This interview is from 2002.