Name: Gillian Torckler
Date of birth: 5 July 1964
Place of birth: Redcar, England
Now living in: Warkworth
- What is your favourite food?
- Strawberries and chocolate.
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- How do you relax?
- By reading or swimming.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- Laura Ingalls Wilder.
- What were you like at school?
- Hard working mostly, but easily distracted.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Most favourite: Mathematics,
Most hated: none that I can remember.
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- Little House on the Prairie, by Laura Ingalls Wilder; Charlotte’s Web, by E. B. White; The Princess and the Pea.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- Oscar Wilde.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Picture book: Julia Donaldson
Children’s: Margaret Mahyopens a new window
Adult: Barbara Kingsolver, Oscar Wilde.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- I didn’t decide to become a writer I just began to write and my career began after that. Now I want to write all the time.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- No anywhere at all.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- Best being able to share interesting ideas with children and other people.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- An entymologist a bug scientist, because I think insects are incredible!
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Write about things that excite or really interest you. Write every thought or idea down - you never know when you will use them.
This interview is from 2002.