Name: Glyn Harper
Date of birth: 12 March 1958
Place of birth: Christchurch
Now living in: Palmerston North
- What is your favourite food?
- Most kinds. Pizza is pretty good though.
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Too many to choose from.
- How do you relax?
- Reading a good book. Movies. Fishing.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- Some great writers Robert Louis Stevenson, Alistair MacLean, Ian Fleming.
Some teachers were inspirational too.
- What were you like at school?
- Generally good. I had a bad two years in the third and fourth forms when I went off the rails a bit.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Favourite: English. Most hated: Maths.
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- Really too many to choose from: Dr No, by Ian Fleming; Ice Station Zebra, by Alistair MacLean. Enid Blyton’s Famous Five series was great.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- Winston Churchill.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Children’s author either C.S. Lewis or Enid Blyton.
Adult author Dan Brown (The Da Vinci Code) is very good.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- It’s just something I have always wanted to do.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- When the research is completed the kitchen table at home.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- It’s great when people say how much they enjoyed reading your book.
Worst thing not enough time to write. “So many ideas, too little time”.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- A teacher.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- It’s hard work, but go for it!!
This interview is from 2005.