Name: Ian Charlton
Date of birth: 1956
Place of birth: Christchurch
Now living in: Christchurch
- What is your favourite food?
- Hot curry with chicken or pork pieces.
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- Zach. I was named after a dog!
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- I’m too embarrassed to tell you. Now that I think about it, there were probably many of them.
- How do you relax?
- By writing.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- Mum and Dad.
- What were you like at school?
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Favourite: Story writing.
Most hated: Maths.
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- Any Ancient Roman or Aztec.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- I like different authors for different reasons.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- I’m not a big talker. So I decided a good way to show people who I am would be to create characters who often thought like me.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- Best: Once a book is finished, it’s a great feeling knowing that you’ve made something where nothing was before.
Worst: It can be lonely work.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- One of the characters in my stories.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Writing has to be fun. Spend lots of time observing people doing what they do. Then write your version of life in a way that suits your personality best.
This interview is from 2002.