Name: Jane Buxton
Date of birth: 7 October 1947
Place of birth: Otaki
Now living in: North Canterbury
- What is your favourite food?
- Fresh fruit.
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- I’m not telling!
- How do you relax?
- I soak in my outside bath or hang out in the barn with my llamas. Llamas are very calm and beautiful creatures known for their soothing effect on people.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- My parents and teachers who kept telling me I’d be a writer when I grew up. I believed them.
- What were you like at school?
- Shy and quiet, with a huge imagination, always reading a book under my desk during classes.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- I loved art and writing stories. I hated maths.
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- I loved the Famous Five books by Enid Blyton.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Shakespeare; Diana Wynne Jones.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- Because I loved writing stories.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- Yes, I have a big, sunny writing room upstairs above my garage.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- There are several best things. I can work at home. I can choose my own hours. I love the work. I earn lots of money. There are no worst things.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- A farmer. And I am one anyway. I farm llamas.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Read, read, read! Be a bookworm! While you are reading you are absorbing ‘book language’ and this will make you a better writer.
This interview is from 2002.