Date of birth: 14 December 1954
Place of birth: Lower Hutt
Now living in: Auckland
- What is your favourite food?
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Going to a doctor who asked me to undress and having holes in my underwear.
- How do you relax?
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- My older sister.
- What were you like at school?
- Very hard-working.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Art and English were my favourites. Maths most hated.
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- The Secret Garden.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Margaret Mahyopens a new window.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- Because I enjoyed reading to my children when they were small and wanted to immerse myself further in their world of make-believe.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- In bed at night when I’m trying to go to sleep. Also the shower.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- It is great fun when it is going well, but it gnaws away at you and won’t leave you alone when it’s going badly.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- A famous artist.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Don’t worry about what other people say and just write lots all the time. Also read lots.
This interview is from 2002.