Name: Jane Westaway
Date of birth: 22 February 1948
Place of birth: Watford, England
Now living in: Wellington
- What is your favourite food?
- Anything I didn’t cook myself.
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Being christened at 13 1/2, and confirmed at 14 - two moments.
- How do you relax?
- Go to the movies and/or a walk and/or talk to friends, weed the garden, read.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- My best friend Suzanne.
- What were you like at school?
- Shy and nervous.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Favourite: English
Most hated: P.E. (Physical Education).
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- Alice in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- Jane Austen.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Author: Ian McEwan.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- To see if I could do it.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- Anywhere I can set up my laptop.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- Best: deciding what I want to work on and when.
Worst: not enough money in it.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Don’t expect to be an overnight success.
This interview is from 2002.