Name: Joy Cowley
Date of birth: 7 August, 1936
Place of birth: Levin, New Zealand
Now living in: Fish Bay, Kenepuru, Marlborough Sounds
- What is your favourite food?
- Ice cream, kai moana
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- The Old Trout
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Recently I said "Thank you" to an ATM machine.
- How do you relax?
- Spinning and knitting, painting, gardening, fishing, reading, playing the piano, listening to music.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- My grandmothers, some of my teachers.
- What were you like at school?
- Quiet, lacking in confidence and slow at learning. But I was good at drawing.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- My most hated subject was sport because I was very clumsy. My favourite subject was art and, later, story writing.
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- Snugglepot and Cuddlepieopens a new window by May Gibbs
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- The composer Frederic Chopin.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- My favourite adult author is Annie Dillard (US).
My favourite children’s author is Margaret Mahyopens a new window.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- I didn't. Writing was like breathing - something I always did while I was thinking of other careers.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- Now I have my own office - it has all my favourite things in it - children’s art, my electric train set and my kaleidoscope collection.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- The worst thing is sitting inside on a sunny day. The best thing is a letter from a young friend.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- An artist
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Write something everyday if you can. Also read a lot. Writing and reading go together like the right shoe and the left shoe.
This interview is from 2002.