Name: Julie Williamson
Date of birth: 25 February 1956
Place of birth: Croydon (England)
Now living in: Lyttelton (Christchurch)
- What is your favourite food?
- Beef and mushroom in oyster sauce.
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Falling asleep in the middle of lunch in a very posh Fleet Street restaurant.
- How do you relax?
- Eat chocolate, stare at the sea, daydream and walk on the Port Hills.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- My Welsh grandmother.
- What were you like at school?
- Very, very, very shy.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- English (favourite) Maths (most hated)
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- The valley of adventure by Enid Blyton
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- Sir Winston Churchill
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Author - So many favourites depending on what mood I’m in - Margaret Atwood, Sebastian Faulks, Alice Hoffman, Marian Keyes, Charlotte Bronte, Jane Austen, etc etc etc!!
Children’s author - Having only just read Harry Potter it has to be J.K. Rowling!
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- Because I love escaping into my imagination.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- At a very old falling to pieces huge desk.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- When it goes well it’s brilliant. When the words won’t come it’s terrible.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- A beachcomber
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Once you start - don’t ever stop.
This interview is from 2002.