Name: Keith Olsen
Date of birth: 24 July 1952
Place of birth: Hawera
Now living in: Catlins
- What is your favourite food?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Nothing specific
- How do you relax?
- Play guitar, read, look out the window, walk on the beach
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- What were you like at school?
- Slow to finish work. I liked drawing.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Favourite: French.
Most hated: Social Studies.
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- Swallowdale by Arthur Ransome.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- Leonardo da Vinci.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- M.E. Kerr
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- Because I couldn’t find the right sort of books - the sort I write.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- You don’t have to live in a city.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- I've been most of the things I've wanted to be - teacher, potter, outdoor instructor, illustrator, traveller.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Make your writing simple and able to be clearly understood.
This interview is from 2002.