Name: Kim Westerskov
Date of birth: 26 July 1947
Place of birth: Columbus, Ohio, USA
Now living in: Tauranga
- What is your favourite food?
- Mangoes. Thai food. Vegetarian.
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- Kimbo, Westy.
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- I hate being embarrassed, so I try not to be. Can’t really think of anything. Some scary times though diving under Antarctic ice, stuck inside sunken shipwrecks.
- How do you relax?
- Spend time with my kids. Meditation (TM).
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- Explorers, especially in jungles like the Amazon. And Nature inspired me I loved and still love being out in Nature: in the forest, under water, in Antarctica…
- What were you like at school?
- Worked hard. Good at sports and art and enjoyed both. Pretty quiet.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Favourite: Art, Physical Education, English
Hated: Calculus and Physics never really liked me.
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- The Call of the Wild by Jack London. I liked many different books.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- Nobody especially
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- J.R.R. Tolkien Lord of the Rings
Margaret Mahy The Lion in the Meadow
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- From the age of three or four I wanted to be a writer, to write books. Not sure why.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- No. Just sitting at my computer.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- Best: when it’s finished (the book) and I see the first copies.
Worst: Writing it just seems such hard work (many writers say this).
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- Nature photographer, which I am as well.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Write, write, write. Write about the things you know best.
This interview is from 2002.