Name: Mary Carmine
Date of birth: 14 August 1945
Place of birth: Waihi
Now living in: Waihi
- What is your favourite food?
- Chilli con carne
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- No or not that I know of.
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- I don’t get embarrassed. My children do it for me.
- How do you relax?
- Bush walks or reading.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- My mother and one or two very encouraging teachers.
- What were you like at school?
- I was very good and a bit of a nerd.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Favourite: Science
Nothing I hated except being asked to recite tables at speed. Although I knew my tables well the brain and tongue did not function well together.
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- Jane Austen
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Adult: Jane Austen
Children: A.A. Milne
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- I enjoy humour and fantasy. Reading is great, writing even better.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- Just the computer. But I think out ideas whenever I get solitude, peace and quiet.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- The best thing is seeing the enjoyment on children’s faces when you read them your stories, the worst is dismissive rejection letters from publishers.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- I do lots of other things besides, which proves that despite what else you do you can always be a writer.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Read lots, write lots. Practice makes perfect. Believe in yourself and never be discouraged by other people.
This interview is from 2002.