Date of birth: 21 March 1947
Place of birth: Waipiro Bay
Now living in: Stokes Valley, Wellington
- What is your favourite food?
- Moki and kumara and all other food.
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- I get called “moron” a lot by my wahine.
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- I have many, my foot and my mouth are good friends.
- How do you relax?
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- My old people.
- What were you like at school?
- A little @!4? Bag.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Favourite: poetry.
- Most hated: all subjects (school did not like me much).
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- The Phantom.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- My ancestor Kokere Taniwha.
- Who is your favourite author/children's author?
- Can't remember: did not have many books when I was a child.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- My wahine made me write.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- Nowhere special.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- Worst thing: You have to sit inside.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- I don’t see myself as a writer I am a fencer who sometimes tries to write.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Attitude and concentration- two things I lack as a writer.
This interview is from 2002.