Name: Norman Bilbrough
Date of birth: 13 June 1941
Place of birth: Feilding
Now living in: Wellington
- What is your favourite food?
- Apples, honey, avocado, Thai Green Curry (with chicken)
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- Once, a long time ago, it was 'Bugs' (after the rabbit).
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Too rude to write down.
- How do you relax?
- Sleeping, walking, going to the movies. And eating.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- All Blacks - like Ron Jarden.
- What were you like at school?
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Favourite: Art
Most hated: Physics
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- Liked all the 'William' books e.g. 'William the Conqueror' by Richmal Crompton.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- Can’t think at the moment.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Children’s author: Robert Cormier
Adult author: Larry McMurtry
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- Because it was my way of rebelling.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- My bedroom, where I write longhand.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- Worst: not much money and hard work.
Best: not having to "go out" to work and using my imagination.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- A pianist or trumpet player.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Write, write, write. Think of it (writing) as work.
This interview is from 2002.