Name: Sandra Morris
Date of birth: 31 October 1952
Place of birth: Auckland
Now living in: Auckland
- What is your favourite food?
- Fresh fish
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- San. (Mij when I was little).
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Can’t recall.
- How do you relax?
- Walking in the bush or sketching outdoors.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- My brother (older).
- What were you like at school?
- Shy but worked hard.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Favourite: Art and English
Most hated: Maths and History
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- The wind in the willows by Kenneth Grahame.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- Leonardo da Vinci.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Don’t have a favourite, I enjoy so many.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- Because I wanted to write the stories to accompany my illustrations – I needed stories to match what I wanted to draw.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- Often at my desk in my bedroom.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- Best thing: seeing your new book just published.
Worst thing: deadlines.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- An anthropologist.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Keep a notebook to jot ideas in. Develop a keen interest in what’s going on in the world around you.
This interview is from 2002.